Monday, August 26, 2013

Tesco Graduate Program- Open Day 2013

For a second, I never quite knew what this was. I couldn’t even recall when I applied for the program. All I knew was, my name was shortlisted among hundreds who applied. Well, that’s good news. At least for now.

A week before the program, I started doing a little research about the program. There weren’t much info on it. There was one blogger from UK. Still, she didn’t mention much about the program. So I called up Tesco Malaysia just to be sure. The guy on the phone just reminded me to bring along a calculator and pens, since there will be an English and Maths test, followed by an interview. Also, just so I wouldn’t get lost on the venue, I did a recce. The venue was at Kepong Village Mall, where Tesco Malaysia HQ and Academy was.


Still, what kindda program is this?

I arrived at a comfortable 30-minutes before the program started. It’s always important to portray a good first impression y’know? Equipped with proper ‘business attire’ and a hand-held certificate folder, I was the fourth person to arrive. There were approximately 40 people present that day. All fresh grads. There were graduates of business admin, property, agriculture, biology, fashion and few others. Ranging from local public and private universities, as well as international graduates. All came for the same reason, ‘competing’ (as I call it) to get a spot for the Tesco Graduate Program.

So here’s my conclusion on the program, after being briefed by the Tesco rep. In order to become a Tesco Trainee/Apprentice, we’d have to undergo Eng/Math tests and interview (like what I went through). When passed, there’s the Assessment (topic study & presentation), and few other assessments.

And no, it doesn't end there. We’d then have to undergo a 1 year and a half of other training in order to become ‘future leaders’ of Tesco. We will be placed in Store Placements in which we will go through job rotation; being a cashier, a butcher, a baker, a storekeeper and others. Then, we will be placed at the Tesco warehouse to train for logistics and supply chain. Also, there will be formal training, experienced learning and supported learning. Throughout the period, they will identify where our strengths are in order to place us in the right department suitable to us. Like the operational term, Put the Right People for the Right Jobs. Finally, the Apprentice. That’s Top 20! (The total of trainees Tesco is recruiting this year). Wow, so many levels to pass through, yet so limited vacancies. 
Credit to Google.com

I am writing this to help future graduates prepare themselves in case they are selected for a Graduate Training Program as such. At least they are more prepared mentally and physically. In such a competitive world of career for fresh grads, one needs to learn to stand out from another. We no longer live in a world where ‘Employers seek Employees’ rather its ‘Employees seek Employers’. Almost everyone has a Degree in hand, competing in various grades and pro-activeness in extra-curricular activities. What matters next, is how one can stand out during interview; your appearance, communication skills and attitude & personality.


Hokayyy..cut the formality! The tests were really hard I’d say even for an objective paper. I’m not sure how others did, although it seems obvious it was hard for them too. Time! Time limits were very stressful. 45 minutes for 45 questions. Even PTD questions weren’t as hard as this. All questions were in English. All questions were related to graphs handed out on another piece of paper. Calculators were allowed. I guess I spent too much time thinking in the first place, that I struggled in completing all questions on time. The English test was hard too. There were many ‘professional’ and alien words. Also, there was listening test and grammar test. The listening test used British English. To sum up, the listening and grammar test was wayyy easier. Gave me a little confidence then.

Right after all the mind-blowing tests, was the interview. Of all the people, I was the first person to be called out. Alhamdulillah. (For some reason of course) *wink*.  After exiting the room, everyone was like, “How was it? What did they ask? Was it hard?” After giving them a few hints, I left. Thank God I managed to avoid the traffics. It was 4.30pm. Everyone was still at work.

Ooo…I’m getting a nervous breakdown just thinking about the results already. Which is in a few weeks’ time. After the Open Day, I have become more objective. I want this. I want to be the Apprentice. In Gods’ will. Otherwise, another job-hunting then.
 
Till next time.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cambest jer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...