Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ramadhan is back!

Salam Ramadhan everyone! Oh aren't we grateful we still have another chance to come around another Ramadhan? Well I do.

And yeah...I am so excited I feel like crying~ Because why?

1. Slim down! Because I get to control myself from feeding on excessive drooling good food not just for my figure and health, but also for my tummy and extra meat. Yikes! Why are there just so many handsome and beautiful foods here and there? People like me, we like trying out new meals. Heh heh. The more unique it gets, the more tempting it is. Hey, I should get on Global Trekker or something. Ho ho ho. 

Ramadhan teaches me to control my nafsu (lust/passion./appetite etc). Since I cannot eat in the daytime of Ramadhan, I not only teach myself to control my nafsu for eating, I also get to remind myself of the many people on Earth who are more unfortunate than me. Those who don't eat 5 times a day. Those who could not choose the many variety of foods on the restaurant menu. Also, those who have never visited big supermarkets to shop for groceries. Fasting helps me pull myself back to Earth and make me realize, of all the time I was complaining and moaning of not being able to get a Happy Meal cheeseburger (because the minion collections were out of stock) etc, I realize, there are people who couldn't even get a mouthful of plain white rice a day. They probably went a day without even eating anything! That is insane, for me. Masya-Allah, they survived. Why can't I? Now here's the time again for me to keep reminding myself this. To teach myself of the pain and hunger others are feeling. To be grateful with all the little things I have. Most importantly, to remember Allah the Almighty.


2. Terawikh prayer! It's once a year, so it's very special. I'd sometimes (errr..usually) pray at 8-rakaat only. Depends on what I eat during iftar. The heavier the meal, the minimal the chance of me praying at more than an 8-rakaat. Well, it's better than nothing eh? Besides, it's a sunat (not compulsory) prayer. And ooh..don't forget the moreh! Moreh feast is a form of supper held after Terawikh prayers. It's a social gathering where we sit down and have a cup of coffee/tea and a kuih. Usually contributed by an association or society, or even by a noble man, as an act of sadaqah.

I pray with the intention of knowing that it is a special prayer that doesn't come around any other time. I pray because I know that my pahala will increase, in sha Allah. And I pray because this is what my religion teaches me to do, and to have a blessing life.


3. The Ramadhan bazaar! Yet again, comes once a year. It's like a night market selling variety of food and drinks for iftar. Roasted chicken wings, murtabak, briyani rice and the list goes on. Not to mention the many varieties of kuih-muih and drinks. When I was studying in Sarawak, I had the chance to fast there. The bazaar was right behind our campus, so it was easy for us to look for food. What's unique there was umai, nasi ayam penyet, mee kolok, laksa Sarawak,  and there were also many types of kek lapis Sarawak. We don't usually get them here in KL. When I lived in Sabah, the bazaar was quite far from campus. Despite having our college all the way uphill, and the bazaar was right downhill at the campus main gate. Usually, we'd just car pool our friends' to the bazaar. What's unique there was.. manuk! It's roasted chicken wings. Sabah is famously known for this. Then there's umai, seaweed kerabu, latok, jelurut, sanggar cheese and the list goes on. When I was studying in Terengganu, the specialty there was nasi kerabu, nasi dagang, laksa Terengganu, laksam, akok, lompat tikam, air batu jagung (ABJ), satar, roti paung, and many many more. Oh, I miss those days living outside KL.

Unfortunately, what with all the variety of food and drinks at the bazaar, it can sometimes lead us to being greedy. With an empty stomach, bracing yourself from hunger, and seeing all the foods before your eyes, you  tend to buy more than you actually need. This misleading action indicates you cannot control your nafsu well enough. Eventually, there will be leftovers. It would be fine if you can actually finish the food later on after terawikh prayers, or bring it to sahur. What if you can't? The next day, you go to the bazaar again, and add on leftovers in your refrigerator. Which will result in the bin later on. Wasting is an act of disapproval in Islam. So let's not waste eh? I know it's very tempting cuz it is for me too. But tell yourself all the time, buy what we need, not what we want.

4. Syawal is getting near! Oh, I can hear the Raya song in my head already~ Haven't thought of what colour of baju Raya to wear this year. How many should I buy? What type of baju should I buy? Oh wait! I just remembered. Now that I already have a job, I'm gonna have to buy my own clothes now. No more PaMa allowances. Boohoohoo~ And this is my first year to give out duit Raya to kids! Pssst kids, RM1 is enough right? It's the thought that matters. Hahahaha.

Hey hey hey, sure Raya is around the corner, but again, do not be greedy! Buy what's necessary, leave out the nafsu. Buy according to what you can afford. And try to avoid those super expensive clothes. Some are relevant to the price, and some are not. Be wise people. And if you have clothes that you no longer want to wear, or can no longer fit in, go donate! Give them to charity. After all, this is the month of Ramadhan. All the deeds we make will multiple in pahala, in sha Allah.

Source: Google


Today is Day 2 of Ramadhan already. Suddenly the thought of my late granddad comes back to memory. I miss you, Atuk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cambest jer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...