Thursday, October 25, 2012

The transfer

For a start, I ran out of ideas to what topic best suit this entry. 'The Transfer' seems a bit legit. But heck, it's what I'll be talking about anyway.



1989. Technically, I was born in Kuala Lumpur. At 6 months old, my dad was transferred to Kota, Kinabalu, Sabah. (Hey ho..my first flight experience ya'll). We were there for 3 years. (There's nothing much to remember here, I was too little). But here's where I got my lil brother,.

1992. My dad transferred back to Kuala Lumpur HQ. Here I went to Tadika Little Prince, a Chinese kindergarten in my neighborhood. Later, I got my lil sister.

1995. My dad again had to transfer. This time, to Taipei, Taiwan. Here, I went to Taipei British School (TBS). But before I was accepted as a student, I had to undergo an interview, for them to see the extent of my English capabilities (my first interview ever!) And yayy, I passed! Being surrounded by other expatriates from all over the world, I had language barriers at first. I wasn't fluent in English. Thank goodness there was another Malay in class. She's also a Malaysian. So in class, I'd speak Malay with her. However, Mrs Bhogal (class teacher) didn't like it. She wanted us to speak full-time English. So whenever we wanted to speak Malay, we'd speak in a low-tone voice. In TBS, there is an English as a Second Language (ESL) class for new students who weren't fluent in English..like me. I didn't suck in English, just not fluent enough. But that was only for the first semester. Then after summer break, I got more confident. I can now speak better English. I started joining clubs in school; Brownies Guide, arts and crafts and Cantonese language classes. The difference in subjects that I have here compared to Malaysian government primary school is, we have Mandarin class, French class, Drama class, History, Geography and IT. Just no Religious Studies, Kemahiran Hidup and Bahasa Malaysia. In short, I was here for 4 years and a half. And I have now completed my primary school level. I'll be in middle school by next semester!



2000. Back in Kuala Lumpur. And no, I am not a middle school student. I am a Year 5 student. Why? Cuz in TBS, if you're 7 years old, you're already in Year 2. So I managed to complete Year 6 in June 2000. Returning back to Malaysia, students my age is in Year 5, so there I was back in Year 5, for the second time. I registered into SK Taman Muda. Again, I had language barriers. This time, I was poor in Malay. I can speak well, but sucks in writing. And I was only there for two weeks, and there was the mid-year exam. Urghhh. Hint to how poor my Malay writing is, I'd spell according to the pronunciation. (e.g Saya Suka Main Bola is spelled as Saye Suke Mayin Bola). This is true story. Maybe I should go rummaging to old boxes and find the papers for proof after this). Few weeks later, the result! I was slightly panicking. Well it's done. Opening my report card, English = A! The rest of the subjects? Red..red...red...red...red...red...red. (Shame on me). How am I to face next years' UPSR? So technically, I had one year to prepare myself for UPSR. And proud as I may, my Malay (writing) subject is an A! Okay this, I've no idea how. Too good to be true. After primary school, I went to SMK Pandan Indah. The school was big. I wasn't active here. I just had several close friends. 

2004. After PMR, again, we moved to Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Here, I went to SMK Likas. Much a smaller school. And again, language barriers. My brother, sister and I were the only students from the Peninsular. It was hard to speak to the Sabahan at first. They spoke fast and sooo... Sabahan. I sometimes had them repeat in a slower version. And some even made fun of me, "Namerrr awak saperrrr?". But they were very friendly. I didn't feel abandoned. Later, I was selected to be part of the school's Invention team. And I was the only girl in the group. But the guys were my friends anyway. I had a fun time in this school. After SPM, I furthered my studies in UiTM Sabah.



2008. My father was transferred to Labuan. And literally, it was him alone. My mother was working in KK, and she couldn't afford to take an unpaid leave for few years just to follow my dad. So my parents sacrificed for the sake of their children. My dad in Labuan, and my mom in KK. My brother stayed in SMK Likas' hostel, and my sister in MRSM Kinarut. Whilst I, was in UiTM's college. So ya see, technically, the five of us lived apart. However, we'd go home every weekend. It's either my dad will come back to our KK house, or we'd go to our Labuan's house.


2011. After completing my Diploma, I furthered my study to UiTM Terengganu.


2012. Am doing my Internship programme in Kuala Lumpur for 5 months now. Anyway, this December will be our 8th year in Sabah. But somehow, my dad has already received an offer letter to transfer. And this time, not sure where. But what's obvious, not in Borneo. Cuz there's no vacancy available. (Can I dream big that he'll transfer overseas? Please help me say Aminnnn.... *dream big*). Well maybe, that won't happen again. We had our chance already. And I'm almost completing my Bachelor Degree level. Dunno where I'll be working at after this. Kuala Lumpur? Other states in Malaysia? Overseas? Oh, I cannot foresee~


P/S: Sorry not many pictures available for the time being. I wanted to scan some old pictures related to my entry, but all my old photos are neatly kept in a photo album, in Sabah.



TODAY. Finally my dad broke the news. He is confirmed for another transfer by the end of this year. He'll be posted to Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan. Hmm...can I say, another language barrier for me? Well, depends where I'll be working after internship then. If..IF....in PD, then yeah, another language barrier. I only know how to say "Ekau jangan nak membongak~". Thanks to Nabil Raja Lawak. 


P/S/S: There's a lot more to share actually. But a blog will not be enough. I should write a book about it.

(Ain't gonna happen. Just saying~)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cambest jer

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...